Steinmeier rules out move to brandenburg

Steinmeier rules out move to brandenburg

"My place is in federal politics," he said in potsdam on saturday. He had previously told this to the "bild am sonntag" newspaper. "That will be until 22. September will be like that, and after that, too," he stressed, with an eye to the date of the federal elections. Steinmeier is running in electoral district 61 (havelland, potsdam-mittelmark, teltow-flaming, brandenburg/havel) as the top candidate of the state SPD.

After platzeck recently suffered a mild stroke, there had been speculation about a possible successor. Steinmeier’s name came up again and again. On the fringes of a visit to a market in brandenburg’s state capital, the latter spoke of an "invented succession discussion in which a few journalists obviously had the inclination to throw a stone into the water".

"I am glad that matthias platzeck is back on board, is feeling well and has resumed his work. So there is no question of a successor," steinmeier stressed. He wanted to meet with the head of government during the course of the day on saturday.

Platzeck had returned to his desk ten days after falling ill. In front of the press, the 59-year-old confirmed that he would continue to perform his duties without restriction in the future, but that this would depend on his state of health. Steinmeier expressed optimism that platzeck would be healthy again and then fully operational.

Platzeck had repeated on his return to office that he would run again as a top candidate in the state elections in 2014, if his party wanted him to and his health allowed it.