City archives reveal how the viehmarkt became a park

city archives reveal how the viehmarkt became a park

It was once the town's cattle market, but for decades it has been a small park – the hindenburgpark on the old schindberg. It was 100 years ago that the former "verschonerungsverein" (conservation society), together with the rhonklub, proposed to use the land as a park.

The information comes from a report in the munnerstadter volkszeitung, today's saale newspaper. Rita jonas discovered the small note. At that time, both assemblies had held a so-called plenary meeting in which a vote was taken on which tasks the verschonerungsverein should take over. The design of this ground was such a task. Not much is written about the hindenburg park in the archives. But what she can find, rita jonas puts together. The munnerstadter works voluntarily with her husband roman in the munnerstadter city archives and searches through old issues of the munnerstadter newspaper. In this way, a reference book is created for certain topics and locations, in which all the notes found are collected. The hindenburgpark is part of the many publications about the old schindberg.

More and more spab on the history
"It all started with the fruit and gardening association", explains rita jonas. For its chronicle the munnerstadter had begun some years ago to collect archival material. In the process, she has become increasingly interested in the history and the old stories that entwine around it. She likes to search through the old newspapers for useful information and always comes up with something.

Besides this newspaper note, there is also an old sketch from the old documents of the former munnerstadt construction company. It is a design proposal for the green area with groves of trees and seating areas.
At first, however, rita jonas did not know that this sketch plan actually belonged to the hindenburg park. Because the small plan was not named more exactly. Only a year, month and artist were noted on it. It was only when the notice about the intention to spare the park was found in the newspaper that one thing led to another. "The work is like a puzzle", confirm rita and roman jonas and toni hiller, also an enthusiastic archivganger, agrees with them.

The map shows paths and design elements. A part of the paths exists until today in the present form. Other elements have not been realized or have disappeared. A circular route is marked on the plan. This does not exist because the old cattle market was a bit rougher than today's hindenburgpark.

After the 2. After the second world war, a few barns and the farm of a bombed-out family were allowed to be built on the edge of the park. The construction plan for the farm (1950) is available. Also a construction plan for a barn.

Association maintained the park
Rita jonas has not yet been able to determine when the cattle market was actually transformed into a park. At least in february 1915, the cattle market place is still written about, when a company advertises in the newspaper that a "steam bed spring cleaning machine" is available for a short time will be placed on the square.
1933 in any case the viehmarktplatz is already a park. In march 1933, the city council decided to leave the park to the newly founded local preservation society for maintenance and preservation.

The site was given its name 80 years ago, in april 1933. In the newspaper there is the note: "the national uprising (….) has now also been rededicated in munnerstadt through the renaming of the park on the old schindberg as hindenburgpark, and the new grave in adolf-hitler-strabe found its visible expression corresponding to the will of the people." The adolf-hitler-strabe was immediately after the war again in neubaustrabe respectively. Friedrich-abert-strabe rededicated. In the case of stadtpark, the committee apparently saw no reason to rename it. He has kept his name until today.

From a city council meeting it is still reported that the verschonerungsverein had requested that a water pipe is laid in the park. In 1933, however, the city council rejected the idea due to the city's poor financial situation. How long the association maintained the park is not known. For decades now, the city has been concerned about the ground level.

Today, part of the site is a children's playground. In winter, it has been used for sledding for many decades, even though this was forbidden for a time. This was previously the case throughout the schindberg. There were not many cars yet, and so the children tobogganed there. Although this had already been forbidden by the police in 1909, there are still old newspaper clippings in which serious accidents with toboggans are reported. In january 1914, a student had an accident and fractured his bone, and "the woman who was sledging along" bubte a tooth in and wore some contusions (editor's note: presumably blue stain) of it.
The design of the park has remained unchanged for decades, except that some of the trees have grown old and the small groups of shrubs from the past have spread to one side of the park. A park bench made of stone foundations left over from the early years was severely damaged by the fallen hollow lime tree in august.